Getting this wrong could either lose a dependable tenant or leave the townhouse increasingly under-rented. The Montreal property is valued at C$1,593,000, with rent currently around C$3,654 against comparable asking figures near C$3,997.
The tenant is reliable and cares for the place. A vacancy plus preparation work could easily weaken the case for pursuing the whole gap, particularly as there are numerous genuine maintenance jobs to schedule.
I am leaning toward a smaller supported adjustment, paired with a clear plan for that work. Before approaching the tenant, I need to confirm the renewal date, the applicable notice procedure and how closely the comparables match. How would you balance those points and present the increase without making it sound like an ultimatum?
The tenant is reliable and cares for the place. A vacancy plus preparation work could easily weaken the case for pursuing the whole gap, particularly as there are numerous genuine maintenance jobs to schedule.
I am leaning toward a smaller supported adjustment, paired with a clear plan for that work. Before approaching the tenant, I need to confirm the renewal date, the applicable notice procedure and how closely the comparables match. How would you balance those points and present the increase without making it sound like an ultimatum?