How far to raise rent on a reliable Cairo studio tenant?

FirstCreek

Property investor
The tenant pays about EGP 313,200, pays reliably and takes good care of the studio, so I’m hesitant to chase comparable asking rents near EGP 362,700. The difference is significant, but one empty period plus maintenance and reletting could erase much of it.

I’m leaning toward a measured rise if the comparable properties include the same furnishings and charges. If they do not, I would keep the base-rent adjustment lower and explain any service-charge change separately. Before approaching the tenant, I also need to confirm the agreement’s review provisions and the local notice requirements. Does that sound like a fair way to choose between retention and testing the market?
 
I would not jump straight to the asking figure. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and a reliable tenant has real value. First estimate the total cost of one turnover: empty time, maintenance, marketing and any work between tenants. A moderate increase that keeps this tenant may produce the better net result, especially if you explain the basis rather than simply presenting a demand.
 
Are the comparables genuinely like-for-like? Check furnishing, building condition, floor, utilities and whether service charges are included. If EGP 362,700 bundles costs that your tenant pays separately, the apparent gap is misleading. I’d also look at the maintenance history before deciding how much room there really is for an increase.
 
I agree on checking the comparables, but I’d go further: don’t let several advertised studios establish the whole case. Those units may sit vacant or eventually agree lower terms. The current arrangement gives you known payment reliability and known treatment of the property. I’d propose an increase below the full EGP 49,500 difference and leave enough time for a calm discussion.
 
One more practical point: separate base rent from service charges in the conversation. If building charges have actually changed, show that distinction clearly rather than presenting one unexplained total. It makes the review easier to understand and avoids confusion later about which part is rent and which part covers building costs.
 
The relationship argument is sensible, but it should not replace checking the tenancy documents. Cairo rentals may not all sit under the same contractual or legal arrangements, so confirm what this particular agreement allows, the required notice, and whether the timing of a review is restricted. If anything is unclear, local legal guidance is safer than relying on a general landlord rule from a forum.
 
The EGP 49,500 difference is useful, but the missing figure is the likely cost of changing tenants. I’d compare that gap with a realistic allowance for an empty studio, marketing and work supported by the maintenance history.

If those costs would consume most of the added rent, retaining a dependable tenant at a moderate increase looks stronger. If comparable homes are actually achieving the higher figure on matching terms and turnover costs are limited, a larger adjustment is easier to justify. I would base the calculation on achieved evidence where available, not listings alone.
 
Deposit handling should be kept out of the bargaining. The deposit should be dealt with according to the agreement and applicable local requirements, not treated as leverage for accepting a higher rent. Before writing, I’d document the condition of the studio, any unresolved maintenance, the comparable listings and exactly what service charges cover. That gives both sides a cleaner discussion.
 
A reasonable sequence would be: verify comparable terms, confirm the contract and notice position, calculate turnover costs, then offer a measured increase in writing with base rent and service charges shown separately. You could also invite the tenant to respond by a set date without making the first message confrontational. If retention is the priority, certainty at slightly below the advertised market may be worth more than chasing the maximum.
 
Back
Top