How far should I raise rent on a reliable Atlanta studio tenant?

SamFord

Landlord
Established
I would prefer to retain a dependable Atlanta studio tenant, but the apparent rent gap is difficult to ignore. The current figure is about $5,942, compared with advertised rents near $7,573, and the tenant’s payment and maintenance record has been good.

Would you keep the rent stable, make a limited adjustment or move it substantially closer to the listings? I want to compare the extra income with vacancy, make-ready work and reletting costs before deciding. I also need a repeatable process covering the tenancy’s notice rules, documented property condition and correct handling of the deposit, rather than setting the increase from asking rents alone.
 
I wouldn’t jump straight to $7,573 for an established tenant. Asking rent is not the same as achieved rent, and one vacant period could absorb much of the extra income. Compare the likely annual gain from each possible increase with vacancy, turnover work and leasing costs. Then offer a defensible adjustment with proper notice rather than treating the highest listing as the target.
 
Before deciding, how close are those comparables? Same part of Atlanta, similar condition, furnishing, utilities and lease length? Also, is the tenancy currently fixed-term or rolling? Those details affect both whether $7,573 is meaningful and what notice process applies. I’d verify the local rules for this specific tenancy rather than relying on a general US approach.
 
I agree the comparison needs cleaning up, but I wouldn’t let reliability automatically freeze a materially under-market rent. A dependable tenant has real value; that value just needs a number attached to it.

Also, this is more of a rent-review framework than a screening process. Use the same worksheet each time: genuine comparable rents, payment record, maintenance history, expected vacancy time, refurbishment, reletting expenses and the cost of replacing a good tenant. Consistency should mean applying the same factors, not producing the same increase.
 
A practical route is to prepare two scenarios: a modest renewal increase that favors retention, and the realistic net result of reletting near $7,573 after downtime and turnover costs. Share the increase clearly and early enough to satisfy the applicable notice rules, while giving the tenant a chance to respond.

If they leave, document the condition carefully and handle the deposit under the rules that apply in Atlanta. Deposit deductions shouldn’t become a way to recover ordinary turnover or the rent you hoped to achieve.
 
Back
Top