How far should I raise rent for a reliable Bengaluru condo tenant?

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
Current rent for my Bengaluru condo is about ₹264,800, while comparable asking rent appears closer to ₹306,600. The tenant pays on time, takes care of the home and reports maintenance problems before they become expensive.

I do not want to lose that reliability by chasing the full market figure, especially once vacancy, refurbishment and reletting costs are considered. Would you offer a modest increase below asking rent, and how would you raise it while respecting the agreement and local notice requirements?
 
A smaller increase would be my preference, but only after checking whether ₹306,600 reflects real comparable homes rather than optimistic listings. The tenant’s reliable payments and care of the condo are worth protecting.

Put a figure on the harder-to-reverse outcome first: losing the tenant. Even one empty rental period, followed by cleaning and reletting, could absorb much of the additional income above the current ₹264,800.

Are the two amounts quoted for the same length of time, and do the other units genuinely match on furnishing, condition, parking and building facilities?
 
They are intended as a like-for-like comparison, but your question makes me think I should verify the details behind the asking figure rather than treat it as settled market rent. I also have not yet put a realistic number on vacancy and refurbishment. Once I do, I am leaning toward an increase below the apparent gap, explained in advance rather than presented as an ultimatum.
 
I would be more cautious than Freja about assuming even a below-market increase is automatically fair. The maintenance history matters too: if the tenant has tolerated unresolved issues or paid for minor items, that should influence the conversation.

Start with the tenancy agreement—rent escalation, notice and renewal wording—and confirm what applies locally in Bengaluru. A calm discussion before formal notice may reveal whether the tenant plans to stay.
 
Put three scenarios on paper: retain at ₹264,800, retain after a modest rise, or replace the tenant near ₹306,600. For the third, include vacancy time, advertising or agent costs, refurbishment, and proper deposit settlement rather than treating the whole difference as profit.

Then send a courteous proposal with the new amount, effective date and required notice. If retention is the priority, you could also offer certainty by pairing the adjustment with a defined period before the next review, provided that fits the agreement and applicable local rules.
 
Back
Top