How far below market would you keep a reliable Seattle tenant?

quill.true

Property investor
Established
I’m reviewing rent on a Seattle small multifamily. Current rent is about $2,066, while comparable asking rent appears closer to $2,383. The tenant pays reliably and takes good care of the home.

I don’t want to chase the full difference only to incur vacancy, refurbishment and reletting costs. At the same time, leaving rent unchanged indefinitely may create a much harder adjustment later. There are also numerous legitimate maintenance jobs, rather than one unnecessary project.

How would you frame a modest, fair increase, account for the maintenance history, and confirm the current Seattle notice requirements before approaching the tenant?
 
One point I’m still unsure about: would you complete or schedule the accumulated maintenance before discussing rent, or treat the two matters separately? I don’t want the increase to sound like payment for repairs that should be handled anyway, but a clear maintenance plan might make the conversation less abrupt.
 
I’d separate them. Necessary maintenance is part of managing the property; tying it to rent can make the tenant feel they are being charged for reporting problems.

For the increase, compare the annual extra income from each possible amount with a realistic turnover budget: vacancy time, cleaning, refurbishment and reletting. A reliable tenant has financial value, so there is no requirement to close the entire $317 monthly gap at once.
 
How was the $2,383 figure established? Asking rents are only persuasive if the units are genuinely comparable in size, condition, location and included services. Listings can also remain available because the asking price is too ambitious.

I’d narrow the comparison before deciding that $2,066 is materially low. The maintenance backlog may also mean a renovated competing unit is not a fair comparison yet.
 
I agree about testing the comparison, but I wouldn’t let payment reliability become a reason never to adjust rent. A widening gap can eventually force a larger increase that is harder for both sides.

Choose a smaller figure you can explain consistently, then verify the Seattle and Washington rules currently applicable to this property, including notice timing and any restrictions. The legal timing should be settled before discussing an effective date.
 
A practical sequence would be: validate the comparables, list the outstanding work with target dates, estimate the cost of one realistic vacancy, and decide what discount from market you are comfortable giving for retention. Then send a calm written notice that treats maintenance and rent as separate subjects.

If the tenant indicates the increase would cause them to leave, compare that loss with your turnover estimate before responding. Also review move-out and deposit-handling requirements in advance; those costs and procedures matter if retention fails, even though they shouldn’t drive the opening conversation.
 
Back
Top