How do you price the risk of a future HOA special assessment in United States

nova.east

First-time buyer
$45,000 is the figure driving this decision. That is the highest possible special assessment owners have discussed for a 2,210 sq ft Boston apartment, while the association has limited reserves and is considering substantial exterior repairs without a final project approval.

I have started checking meeting records, insurance, reserve balances and planned maintenance. I’m unsure which evidence best shows that the discussion is becoming a probable expense: a reserve study, an engineer’s findings, contractor bids, overdue owner payments, recent claims, or a pattern of postponing major work.

How would you reflect that uncertainty in an offer without pretending the full amount is already due? I’m also concerned about financing and resale liquidity if the project advances. I’d renegotiate if the likely scope can be bounded and priced, but would consider walking away if structural exposure, funding capacity or owner arrears remain unclear. Which documents would help make that distinction?
 
Back
Top