How do I compare three agent proposals with very different inclusions?

I have three proposals for selling a San Francisco townhouse. The fee difference is meaningful, but the services are not comparable: one includes photography and negotiation, while another starts charging separately for most items once the listing is live.

What questions reveal the real value? I’m considering recent results, response times, buyer qualification, offer handling, fall-through support and who actually manages the file after an agreement. I also want to understand the fee basis and any conflicts. What tends to matter after choosing an agent?
 
Put all three proposals into one itemised table before comparing percentages or totals. Ask what “photography” includes, which costs require approval, whether the quoted fee changes in any circumstances, and who your named contact will be at each stage. I’d also ask for a realistic response-time commitment. A broad service list is less useful if routine questions are handed around the office.
 
How does each proposal describe buyer qualification and competing offers? Those are easy areas for vague promises. Ask who speaks with interested buyers, how offer terms will be presented alongside price, and how any conflict involving represented buyers would be disclosed.

I wouldn’t rely heavily on a fall-through rate without knowing how they define it. The more useful question may be what they actually do when financing, timing or another agreed term starts causing trouble.
 
I’d give each agent the same scenario: two offers arrive close together, one higher but with more uncertainty, and you cannot reach the agent immediately. Ask who responds, what information reaches you, and who continues managing matters after acceptance.

That should expose more than a polished proposal. Also confirm exclusions in writing, especially photography extras and post-agreement support. The cheapest option may remain sensible, but only if you are comfortable coordinating whatever it leaves out.
 
Back
Top