Hong Kong’s October 2025 inventory shift: selectivity or seasonal noise?

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
I’m tracking Hong Kong property inventory from October 2025 and trying to decide whether to wait or focus only on homes already presented well. Country homes in good condition appear to be moving in roughly 60 days, while those needing work remain available longer. I’m also seeing an apparent 6.7% gap between asking prices and completed deals.

Is that genuine buyer selectivity or just seasonal noise? The citywide average is not useful for the two neighbourhoods we like. Completed transactions or direct neighbourhood observations would help, especially with dates and property condition separated out.
 
I wouldn’t treat 6.7% as a negotiation discount unless the asking and sold figures refer to the same homes. Current listings can be compared with transactions agreed months earlier, and withdrawn or revised listings complicate the picture. The 60-day figure is more useful if it comes from enough similar country homes within each neighbourhood.
 
How large is your sample, and is “60 days” measured to agreement or completion? I’d split the two neighbourhoods and record original ask, latest ask, completed price, listing date, condition and any price revisions. Transaction volume matters too: a handful of quick sales can make the mix look stronger without showing a broad change.
 
I’m not convinced condition alone explains it. October 2025 could reflect policy timing, buyers returning after a quiet period, or sellers adjusting expectations. Homes needing work also vary hugely in the uncertainty involved, so grouping them together may exaggerate the contrast. I’d want several months on either side before calling this a lasting shift.
 
One practical addition to my earlier point: preserve each week’s listing details rather than relying on the latest version. If an asking price is reduced, the revision history changes the apparent discount. Then compare completed deals within the same neighbourhood and property type, and note monthly transaction counts. That should show whether the 6.7% gap survives matched comparisons or disappears as a timing effect.
 
Back
Top