Hong Kong townhouses: mixed signals after 56 days

StillPorch

Real estate agent
Established
I’ve been tracking a narrow group of Hong Kong townhouse listings in October 2024, priced from HK$2,402,000 to HK$3,604,000. They are behaving very differently, despite the current marketing period being roughly 56 days.

Financing costs seem to matter more than the monthly price headlines. Is this still ordinary variation between individual properties, or could it be an early change in this slice of the market? I’m trying to decide whether to keep watching or start approaching sellers.
 
I’d assume property-level variation until completed sales show otherwise. With townhouses, condition and the seller’s urgency can easily make two apparently similar listings behave differently. The useful comparison is not just asking price and days advertised: look at recent completed sales, when reductions occurred, and whether the slow listings are genuinely available rather than stale stock.
 
One other question: how tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries? If the saved group crosses areas that buyers do not see as substitutes, the 56-day figure may be combining several small markets. I would also separate withdrawn listings from completed sales. Withdrawals can make the remaining stock look healthier without demonstrating buyer demand.
 
I’m less willing to dismiss financing as ordinary variation. If otherwise comparable homes are stalling after buyers test affordability, that can be an early shift before it appears in broader figures. But you would need price-cut timing and new-listing volume to support that reading. A few motivated sellers can create the same pattern, especially in such a narrow price band.
 
Before approaching anyone, make a simple table for each listing: exact area, condition, first listing date, reductions, current status, and any comparable completed sale. Then note whether fresh listings are arriving faster than older ones leave. If the divergence remains after controlling for location and condition, seller motivation and buyer financing become much stronger explanations. Otherwise, the citywide average is probably just too broad for this comparison.
 
Back
Top