Hong Kong property transactions: where do expectations go wrong?

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
I work around the Hong Kong property market and am opening a practical Q&A about transaction surprises. One recurring problem is that asking price, comparable transactions, an agreed price and a lender’s assessment may be treated as if they prove the same thing. They do not.

Questions on pricing evidence, negotiation limits, financing timing, energy performance or coordination between professionals are welcome. Please include the jurisdiction and property type. I’ll separate personal experience from matters needing regulated advice, and it would be useful to compare where responsibility for documents and conflict disclosure sits in different markets.
 
For a Hong Kong apartment, what pricing evidence should a buyer request before negotiating? Recent transactions in the same building sound most relevant, but individual units can differ substantially. I’d also want to know whether the agent acts for one party or is dealing with both sides, and how any conflict is disclosed.
 
The missing fact is whether the buyer needs financing. If so, I would not decide the maximum offer solely from nearby sales or verbal indications about borrowing. Comparable evidence can inform the negotiation, but the buyer still needs a realistic financing timeline and clarity on what happens if the lender’s assessment differs from the agreed price.
 
I partly disagree that same-building transactions are automatically the best evidence. They are a strong starting point, but condition, floor, outlook, layout and timing can make a superficially similar unit a poor comparison. I’d ask the agent to explain why each comparable was selected, not just provide a list that supports the asking price.
 
That distinction helps. Assume it is for the buyer’s own occupancy and a mortgage is required. Would the practical sequence be to set an affordability ceiling first, inspect the unit-specific differences, then test the proposed offer against both comparable transactions and the financing assumptions? I’m trying to avoid treating an early lender conversation as a final commitment.
 
That sequence is sensible, with one addition: map responsibilities before making time-sensitive commitments. Ask who supplies each property document, who verifies transaction details, what the lender still needs, and which questions belong with the lawyer rather than the agent. Also request a clear explanation of who each professional represents and any conflicts. Energy-performance questions should be tied to whatever information is actually applicable to that property, rather than assumed from another jurisdiction.
 
Back
Top