Hong Kong newcomer comparing new-build asking and completed prices

ari_park

Real estate lawyer
Established
Hello from Hong Kong. I’m a real estate lawyer, but most of my property reading at present is about new-build flats: transaction costs, mortgage comparisons, and the gap between advertised and completed prices.

I joined because I want to compare markets rather than stay in one local bubble. For Hong Kong specifically, where should a newcomer begin on the local board—market-data discussions, legal checklists, or a particular type of first-purchase thread?
 
I’d begin with the market-data discussions, then use the first-purchase threads to identify costs your initial comparison may have omitted. Keep new-build and resale examples separate. Also note the date, development and unit characteristics whenever someone mentions a price; otherwise an advertised-versus-completed comparison can become misleading very quickly.
 
What decision are you ultimately trying to support: buying a home, modelling an investment, or simply understanding the market? That changes what is useful. An investor may care more about management and ongoing costs, while an owner-occupier may put greater weight on layout, renovation needs and mortgage affordability.
 
Good distinction. This is primarily market learning rather than an active purchase, though I’d like to build a model that could later support a first purchase. I’ll start by logging new-build and resale separately, with dates and unit details, then add transaction and property-management costs rather than treating the headline price as the whole comparison.
 
That is sensible, but I would not leave the legal side until the model is finished. Price labels and timing may not be comparable across transactions, and the relevant costs can depend on the buyer and deal structure in Hong Kong. Build a simple legal-checklist column now for assumptions that still need verification. It will make later comparisons easier to audit without pretending every listing is directly comparable.
 
Back
Top