Hong Kong mortgage quote: 5.82% fixed for 15 years—what am I missing?

ClearBook

First-time buyer
The lowest-rate offer and the lowest-cost offer are not the same, and I am unsure which comparison deserves more weight. I have a quote of 5.82% for a Hong Kong property costing about HK$3,822,000, with a stated 15-year fixed period. Fees and the applicable loan-to-value band erase some of the apparent rate advantage.

Would you compare the offers using APR, cash paid by a realistic exit date, or the balance remaining at that point? I can see why assuming a later refinance makes the numbers attractive, but a weaker future loan-to-value position could make that impossible. I also need to establish how portability and early repayment work, and confirm whether the 15 years refers only to the fix or to the whole mortgage term.
 
APR is the best starting point only if every lender calculates it over the same period and includes comparable fees. I would build a simple cash-flow comparison: upfront fees, monthly payments, and the balance still owed at a chosen date. Run it for at least two scenarios—keeping the loan for 15 years and exiting earlier. That makes an early-repayment charge much more important than a small headline-rate difference.
 
I’d put monthly affordability ahead of the lowest projected total cost. A refinance assumption can make an offer look better on paper, but there is no guarantee the future rate or loan-to-value position will cooperate.

Ask the lender to spell out what happens if you sell, repay early, or move the loan to another property. Also, is 15 years the fixed period or the full mortgage term? That distinction changes the comparison and whether there is any rate-reset risk.
 
Back
Top