Hong Kong mortgage quote: 5.31% fixed for 15 years on HK$6,123,000 purchase

FairKite

First-time buyer
The lowest headline rate looks like the obvious winner, yet the cost over the years I may actually keep the loan seems more relevant. I have a 5.31% quote connected to a purchase of about HK$6,123,000, with a 15-year fixed period. Fees and the loan-to-value band make it less attractive than the advertised figure suggested.

The monthly gap between offers is modest, so I am trying to compare likely refinancing or sale dates rather than assuming I will keep this arrangement for all 15 years. Which figures should I request from each lender, particularly for early repayment, portability and a possible refinance?
 
Using your likely holding period makes sense, although I would not rely on one predicted refinance date. Run the offers to several points—perhaps an early sale, a mid-term refinance and the full 15 years—and add the fees or repayment charges due at each one.

The missing detail is how every lender has calculated its quoted figure. Ask for the repayment schedule and fee assumptions in writing. That should show whether the apparent saving survives under the same loan amount and exit date.
 
Is the loan itself fully repaid after 15 years, or does the rate merely reset after the fixed period? Also, what loan amount does the quoted loan-to-value produce? The HK$6,123,000 purchase price alone isn’t enough to calculate whether the small monthly difference stays small in cash terms.
 
I wouldn’t put too much weight on portability. It sounds valuable, but the precise conditions can determine whether it is useful when you actually move. Early repayment is easier to model: ask each lender for the cost of selling or refinancing after a few plausible dates, then compare those figures side by side.
 
A caveat to the holding-period approach: choosing a short comparison window can make a fee-heavy loan look worse even if the borrower ends up staying for 15 years. I’d run at least three scenarios—early exit, expected holding period and the full fixed period. If the mortgage continues afterward, add a stress case for the reset rate rather than assuming refinancing will definitely be available or attractive.
 
Ask for each offer in the same format: initial loan amount, monthly payment, all upfront fees, balance remaining at your chosen comparison dates, early-repayment cost at those dates, and what happens after year 15. Then price portability separately as flexibility rather than treating it as guaranteed savings. That should show whether 5.31% is genuinely expensive or just looks higher than the advertised headline.
 
Back
Top