Hong Kong coastal listings: does vacancy explain a 7.2% price move?

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
The listings I saved are not moving together at all, so I’m trying to decide whether a reported 7.2% price movement is meaningful for this slice of the market.

My small sample covers Hong Kong coastal homes marketed from HK$3,744,000 to HK$5,616,000. Median marketing time is about 78 days, although differences in condition make the average pricing fairly noisy.

The point I cannot settle is vacancy. Are buyers using an empty property as negotiating leverage, perhaps because it signals a motivated seller, or do they simply move on to the next listing when the price and condition do not align?
 
Vacancy by itself tells you little about the likely discount. An empty home may be easier to inspect and complete on, but it does not prove the seller is under pressure. I would compare recent completed sales first, then note when each listing cut its price. Asking-price movements can look dramatic while completed prices tell a quieter story.
 
The sample definition may be doing more work than vacancy. My specific concern is whether “coastal” combines neighbourhoods with different buyer pools and normal price levels.

I would fix the boundaries before interpreting the 7.2% movement, then separate empty homes in usable condition from vacant properties requiring renovation. The second group forces buyers to price work and disruption, so a lower offer may say little about seller motivation. Vacancy can be added afterward alongside marketing time and price cuts, but an inconsistent comparison group is much harder to correct retrospectively.
 
I partly disagree that vacancy tells you very little. It is not proof, but combined with 78 days on the market and one or more price cuts, it can reveal seller motivation. The useful question is not merely whether the home is empty, but how long it has been empty and whether the seller has responded to weak interest.
 
Also track withdrawn stock. A listing that disappears has not necessarily sold, and counting it as market absorption would distort a small sample. New-listing volume matters too: buyers will move on more readily when several comparable homes have just appeared, whereas a vacant seller may retain leverage if alternatives are scarce.
 
Financing could explain some of the uneven movement as well. Two similarly priced properties may attract different buyer pools if condition affects the cash needed after purchase. I’d make a simple table: neighbourhood, asking price, latest completed comparable, condition, occupied/vacant, days marketed, cuts and current status. That should expose which factor is doing the work.
 
Be careful with the median of 78 days. In a small sample, relisted properties can appear newer than they really are, while stale listings may be withdrawn before entering your calculation. Rather than treating day 78 as a negotiating threshold, look for behaviour around each seller’s first price cut and whether viewings appear to produce any adjustment.
 
There are two buyer responses here, not one. A price-sensitive buyer may use vacancy, poor condition and long marketing time to justify an offer. A buyer worried about renovation or financing may simply reject the property. That means vacancy can increase negotiability without increasing demand—especially if the empty home presents badly.
 
That helps. My sample is probably too broad geographically, and I had not separated withdrawals from completed sales. I’m going to narrow the neighbourhood boundaries, split properties by condition, and record relistings and price-cut dates. I’ll treat vacancy as a possible sign of motivation only when it lines up with those other signals, rather than using it to explain the full 7.2%.
 
Back
Top