Hong Kong apartments: is the 3.8% movement really condition-driven?

HK$8,736,000 to HK$13,100,000 is the asking range I’m following for Hong Kong apartments. The snapshot reports a 3.8% movement and about 12 days, yet condition appears to affect negotiations much more than that headline suggests.

I’m trying to work out whether building-related insurance concerns are driving the difference, or whether financing, closing costs and seller urgency are better explanations. Withdrawn homes may also be distorting the short marketing period. Examples from tightly defined neighbourhoods would help, particularly if the figures separate advertised reductions from completed transactions.
 
I’d be careful with the 12-day figure. Does it measure time until an accepted offer, removal from the market, or recorded completion? Those produce very different interpretations, especially if withdrawn listings disappear from the sample.

Also, what insurance issue do you mean—building condition, insurability, or simply higher ownership costs? Without that distinction, condition and seller motivation may explain the discount just as well.
 
One more missing piece is how you define each neighbourhood. A broad district can combine newer apartments with older stock and make a 3.8% movement look more meaningful than it is. I’d separate new listings, price cuts and withdrawals, then compare only similar property types and condition levels.
 
I’m not convinced insurance should be the leading explanation yet. Financing constraints can turn a property defect into a much larger negotiated discount, while a motivated seller may cut quickly regardless of condition.

A useful next step would be a small table of recent completed sales: original ask, final price, first-listing date, price-cut date, condition, neighbourhood boundary and whether the listing was previously withdrawn. That would test the theory better than the headline 3.8% and 12-day figures alone.
 
Back
Top