Hong Kong 5-bed country home at 4.4% gross: what am I missing?

XaviReed

Property investor
Established
I want this to work without relying on price growth, but the margin looks thin. The asking price is HK$6,942,000 and projected rent for the 5-bed country home is HK$25,470 a month, or roughly 4.4% gross.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a sizeable repair, but financing and insurance could still upset the calculation. For this type of Hong Kong property, which expense deserves its own detailed estimate rather than a general allowance? I’d also be interested in the net return others would require before accepting the vacancy risk.
 
Annual rent is HK$305,640, so there is not a huge cushion between 4.4% gross and a disappointing net result. I’d be most suspicious of turnover costs and irregular building work rather than routine management. A vacant period plus preparation for the next tenant can consume several months of apparent profit. I would want the model to remain worthwhile below 3% net.
 
Is HK$25,470 supported by comparable signed rents, or is it an asking-rent estimate? Also, does the tenant pay any recurring property charges, or do you? Those two facts matter more than fine-tuning the maintenance percentage. For a country home, I would separately investigate access, drainage, water ingress and responsibility for shared areas rather than treating everything as a generic repair reserve.
 
I agree on testing the rent, but not that every unusual repair should simply be rolled into a higher vacancy allowance. Keep vacancy, reletting expenses and physical repairs separate. Otherwise you cannot see what is driving the weak case. A 5-bed home may also have a narrower tenant pool than a smaller unit, so I’d stress-test a longer gap between tenancies.
 
One addition: an annual repair reserve can make the spreadsheet look smooth while the cash flow is anything but smooth. Run a version where the larger repair lands during a vacancy. If that creates a funding problem, the deal is too tight regardless of the average net yield.
 
I disagree with setting a universal 3% net hurdle before knowing the financing. An unleveraged buyer and someone exposed to changing borrowing costs are evaluating different risks. Model the actual loan payments, then raise the financing cost and reduce rent at the same time. At 4.4% gross, modest changes on both sides could wipe out most of the cash surplus.
 
Insurance deserves its own line rather than being buried in maintenance. Confirm what can actually be insured, the exclusions, and whether any lender requires particular cover. I’d also obtain written estimates for management and tenant placement instead of using a broad percentage. The important comparison is net operating income against the full purchase cost, with financing shown separately.
 
Don’t forget that cash return and accounting or tax treatment are different calculations. Hong Kong-specific property tax and acquisition costs should be confirmed for your ownership circumstances rather than assumed from a generic calculator. Acquisition costs do not reduce annual net operating income, but they do increase the capital committed and therefore lower your return on total cash invested.
 
I’d make three cases: expected rent with normal turnover, rent reduced with an extended vacancy, and a bad year combining vacancy, a major repair and higher financing cost. Then verify the HK$25,470 rent, identify every charge allocated to owner versus tenant, and price insurance and management directly. If only the optimistic case clears your required return, the 4.4% headline is not enough compensation.
 
Back
Top