Getting the cash buffer wrong would have made my first apartment closing much more painful than the rejected offers. The purchase has now completed, but the paperwork took longer than expected and the last week showed how quickly responsibility for an outstanding item can become unclear.
I came away with two practical lessons. Money left at closing is not automatically a furniture budget, especially when moving costs, small repairs and lease-related expenses can arrive together. I would also keep a written list of each remaining document, who must provide it and the date needed.
The unsuccessful offers were useful evidence rather than wasted attempts because they clarified what the local market would accept. For those who have completed a first purchase, what caught you between acceptance and moving day that the usual beginner advice did not cover?
I came away with two practical lessons. Money left at closing is not automatically a furniture budget, especially when moving costs, small repairs and lease-related expenses can arrive together. I would also keep a written list of each remaining document, who must provide it and the date needed.
The unsuccessful offers were useful evidence rather than wasted attempts because they clarified what the local market would accept. For those who have completed a first purchase, what caught you between acceptance and moving day that the usual beginner advice did not cover?