HK$241,800 left after buying a HK$6,942,000 duplex — enough buffer?

pia.moss

Homeowner
Only about HK$241,800 would remain after the deposit and estimated completion costs, so I do not want to commit that money before knowing what must be paid soon after completion. The property is a 5-bed Hong Kong duplex priced around HK$6,942,000.

I am trying to set priorities for the first year: an emergency fund, moving expenses, service charges, inspection-led repairs and furniture. My instinct is to protect the emergency cash and furnish only the rooms needed immediately, but I am unsure how large a repair allowance to hold back. What else should be included before deciding whether this purchase leaves enough breathing room?
 
I would ring-fence the emergency fund first rather than divide the whole HK$241,800 into spending categories. Then set aside known near-term items: moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and enough to cover the insurance excess. Let the inspection determine the repair allowance. Furniture would come last; a 5-bed place can absorb an enormous amount if you try to finish every room immediately.
 
Before choosing percentages, does the HK$241,800 already account for the timing of the first mortgage payment and any service charges due shortly after completion? Also, will all five bedrooms be used immediately? Those two answers could materially change how much is genuinely available for repairs and furniture.
 
To make that practical, I’d build a month-by-month cash list covering completion through the first few months: housing payments, service charges, insurance, moving and essential living costs. Keep uncertain inspection work as a separate range rather than a single optimistic figure. If the remaining emergency cash looks uncomfortable under the higher repair estimate, that is a useful signal to lower the purchase ceiling.
 
I agree with delaying furniture, but I wouldn’t automatically create a large repair pot before seeing the inspection. Separate urgent defects from cosmetic work first. If the inspection finds something costly that cannot wait and paying for it would consume the emergency reserve, the better response may be renegotiating or reconsidering the duplex—not shrinking the safety buffer to force the purchase through.
 
Back
Top