HK$10,760,000 studio: what belongs on the legal and tax checklist?

XaviReed

Property investor
Established
The surprise was how little the completion figure says about the total ownership cost. I am looking at a Hong Kong studio priced at about HK$10,760,000, and I can list the transfer, registration, legal and notary costs, but that still leaves recurring property charges and the effect of the ownership structure unclear.

Before requesting an itemised estimate from a licensed local professional, I want to provide the right assumptions. Presumably that includes the buyer’s residency, whether ownership will be individual or otherwise, and how the studio will be used. What else should be included so the advice also covers a later sale and inheritance planning? I would particularly like to identify annual charges and future-event costs that may not appear in the initial fee quote.
 
Ask for the estimate in three columns: costs due around completion, recurring property charges, and costs or taxes potentially triggered by a later sale or inheritance. Under each item, have them state who charges it, what triggers it, and whether the HK$10,760,000 price or some other basis is being used. That should expose exclusions more effectively than asking for one all-in figure.
 
Two missing facts could change the conversation: will the buyer be an individual or another ownership structure, and what is the buyer’s residency position? I’d also say whether the studio is intended for personal use or another purpose. Without those assumptions, even a carefully itemised estimate may answer the wrong scenario.
 
I’d be cautious about relying on what surprised previous buyers. Their ownership and residency facts may not match yours. The better question for the lawyer is: “What have you excluded from this quote?” Ask separately about taxes, professional fees, registration charges and third-party disbursements, because a headline legal-fee number may not tell you which category each payment falls into.
 
Agreed on exclusions, but I wouldn’t let the exercise become so broad that every possible future event is priced as though it will happen. Start with the intended ownership structure and completion costs, then request short scenario notes for sale, residency change and inheritance. Those future items may depend on facts that are not settled yet.
 
One practical next step: send the professional a one-page fact sheet before requesting the revised estimate—HK$10,760,000 studio, proposed owner, residency position, intended use, and expected holding period. Then ask for written confirmation of (1) transfer and registration amounts, (2) legal/notary work and disbursements, (3) annual property charges, and (4) what needs separate tax or inheritance advice. That also makes it easier to compare two estimates without mistaking different assumptions for different prices.
 
Back
Top