Higher valuation or a realistic launch price for a São Paulo country home?

esme.snow

Real estate agent
Established
Two agents have valued our São Paulo country home quite differently. The higher proposal is naturally tempting, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously have been sitting for roughly 103 days before reducing.

Would you start high to leave negotiating room, or launch closer to the likely sale price to capture first-week interest? I want to compare completed sales, not just current asking prices or promises in a pitch. I’d also like to understand new-listing volume, withdrawn properties and when reductions happened. Please keep any actual legal requirements in Brazil separate from personal tolerance for a slower or less certain sale.
 
Ask both agents to support their figures with the same evidence: recent completed sales within tightly defined neighbourhood boundaries, adjusted for land, condition and access. Also ask what happened to withdrawn stock; it may represent failed pricing rather than genuine demand. Unless the higher agent can explain the gap property by property, I would favour the price grounded in completed outcomes.
 
How comparable are those homes that sat for 103 days? A renovated country home and one needing substantial work can attract very different buyers even when the plot and general area look similar. I’d also ask whether likely buyers need financing, because an optimistic agreed price may still run into problems if the property cannot support that figure during their financing process.
 
I’m not convinced a higher launch is automatically damaging. Country homes can have thin, uneven demand, and a seller who is not under time pressure may reasonably test it. The problem is drifting rather than testing: if there is no serious interest, a reduction after 103 days may look reactive. Agree the test period and response criteria before listing, rather than deciding emotionally later.
 
I’d have each agent produce a short table showing completed sale, original asking price, final price, days marketed, condition and precise area. Then add current competition and recent withdrawals separately. That makes it harder to mix unlike evidence. Also ask how much new stock is expected during your intended launch period; a realistic price matters more if buyers will soon have several alternatives.
 
Seller motivation is the missing fact. If you need a completed sale within a defined timeline, protecting early attention probably outweighs leaving generous negotiating room. If timing is flexible, Fatima’s controlled test can make sense. For the Brazil side, ask a qualified local adviser to identify mandatory steps and costs in writing. Choosing an ambitious price is a commercial risk decision, not a legal requirement.
 
One more caveat to the comparison table: completed sales can be useful without being truly comparable if neighbourhood boundaries are drawn too broadly. I’d ask both agents which properties they excluded and why. Then choose the strategy in advance: launch near supported value, or test higher with a firm date for reassessment. Either is defensible; an open-ended high price with no reduction plan is the weak option.
 
Back
Top