High HOA fees complicate a €662,400 Helsinki apartment purchase

elio.miles

First-time buyer
I’m comparing my current rental in Helsinki with buying a similar apartment for about €662,400. Once I add the mortgage, tax, maintenance and housing-association dues, owning would cost substantially more each month. It would build equity, but I may move within five to seven years, so flexibility and resale liquidity matter.

The association fees are my biggest concern. I’m trying to understand whether they reflect sensible reserves and the building’s actual maintenance and energy needs, or whether they could rise sharply after major works. Insurance exposure and the risk of paying for an empty apartment while selling are also difficult to price.

For anyone who faced the opposite choice at roughly this price: how did you compare transaction costs and likely resale value against the equity gained over only five to seven years? What specific figures in the building’s finances or maintenance plans tipped your decision toward buying or continuing to rent?
 
Back
Top