Helsinki student housing: why are some listings moving while others sit?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’m trying to make sense of a Helsinki sample priced from €397,400 to €596,200, mostly student housing. The typical listing has been visible for 50 days, but there is a noticeable split between quick sales and stock that lingers.

My working theory was that property tax might affect seller urgency, though agents have given me conflicting explanations and some say it is simply seasonal. What should I compare at street level: completed sales, withdrawals, price cuts, financing issues, or something else?
 
I wouldn’t put property tax first. It may influence carrying costs and seller motivation, but it does not explain why otherwise comparable properties attract buyers at different speeds. I’d separate actual completions from withdrawn listings, then compare condition and the timing of the first price reduction. Stale stock may simply be disappearing rather than selling.
 
How broad is “student housing” in your notes? Are all these listings genuinely comparable in format and condition, or merely marketed toward the same buyer group? Also, are the neighbourhood boundaries tight? A €397,400 property and a €596,200 one can sit in the same category while appealing to quite different buyers.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss tax entirely, Adrian. It could matter at the margin when one seller is motivated and another is comfortable waiting. But buyer financing seems at least as important to investigate: a listing can look correctly priced until the likely purchasers confront the full funding requirement. Condition could compound that if further spending is needed.
 
Liam’s boundary question is crucial. I’d split the sample into smaller neighbourhood groups before drawing conclusions from the 50-day figure. For seasonality, compare listing cohorts: how many were newly advertised, reduced, withdrawn, or completed during the same period. Looking only at today’s active advertisements gives undue weight to the properties that failed to move.
 
A practical next step would be a simple row for each property: first-seen date, original and current asking price, date of any cut, neighbourhood, visible condition, withdrawal or completion, and any stated seller timetable. Then ask each agent the same narrow question about recent comparable completions. That should reveal whether the split is mainly price, condition, financing, location, or motivation rather than relying on different general answers about the season.
 
Back
Top