Helsinki retail unit: legal and tax costs that are easy to miss

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’m 116 days into building a closing-cost checklist for a Helsinki retail unit priced around €570,400. Transfer tax, registration and possible legal/notary fees are on it, but the ownership structure and annual property charges are less clear.

For anyone familiar with Finnish transactions, what tended to be absent from the first estimate? I also want to ask a licensed local professional about ownership restrictions, residency, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning rather than discover those issues after closing.
 
First establish exactly what is being acquired: direct ownership of the premises or shares in an entity connected to the property. That distinction can change which taxes, registrations and recurring charges need to be investigated.

I’d request two itemised schedules—one-off transaction costs and annual charges—and ask whether any planned building works or other shared costs could fall on the buyer.
 
I’d be cautious about putting a generic “notary fee” into the budget before confirming that one is actually required for this transaction. International checklists often mix together costs from different systems.

The adviser will also need the buyer’s residency, whether the buyer is an individual or company, and any financing details. Capital gains and inheritance are not necessarily closing costs, but they can affect whether the proposed ownership structure makes sense. Ask for the assumptions behind every figure, not just a total.
 
Back
Top