Helsinki new-build flats: are transaction fees really driving time on market?

kian_finance

Seller
Established
I’m sense-checking a Helsinki sample of mostly new-build flats priced from €629,300 to €943,900. The typical listing has been visible for 54 days, but there seems to be a sharp divide between quick sales and stock that sits.

My working theory was that transaction fees might explain some of that gap, but I’m not convinced. Should I focus instead on recent completed sales, withdrawn listings, financing or seller motivation? Street-level observations would be welcome.
 
Transaction fees alone would be a weak explanation because they affect buyers across the sample. I would first separate completed sales from withdrawals and relistings. A listing can disappear without having sold, while a relisted flat can look newer than it really is. Also split developer-held stock from individual resales, since their reasons for waiting or cutting the price may differ.
 
I would check the geography before spending too much time classifying withdrawals and relistings. If adjacent neighbourhoods have been combined, the €629,300 to €943,900 range may be mixing areas with very different demand.

The 54-day measure also needs a consistent starting point: first appearance, most recent relisting or the date currently displayed. Finally, compare it with the flow of new listings during the same period. A rise in available stock could explain slower movement more convincingly than transaction fees alone.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss transaction costs completely: near the top of that bracket, every additional expense may affect what a buyer can finance. But they still don’t explain why one comparable flat moves and another stalls. Layout, floor, outlook, monthly carrying costs and the seller’s willingness to negotiate could all matter more than the headline price.
 
That’s helpful. My 54-day figure is based on visible listing age, so it may not capture earlier withdrawals or relistings. I also need to tighten the neighbourhood groupings rather than treating Helsinki as one market.

I’ll recut the sample into smaller areas, separate developer stock where identifiable, and track the timing of price reductions. The remaining difficulty is distinguishing a genuinely firm seller from one simply testing the market.
 
For seller motivation, watch behaviour rather than trying to infer intent. A reduction after a short period says something different from an unchanged price after several months, but neither proves urgency. Record each price change, days between changes, withdrawal and reappearance. Then compare those patterns with similar flats that actually completed, if reliable completion information is available.
 
One caveat: completed sales are useful but backward-looking, especially if the current flow of new listings has changed. I’d compare them with present competition in the same small area and condition category. New-build flats shouldn’t automatically be grouped together either; a completed unit, an unfinished unit and one needing buyer-selected finishes may not be directly comparable.
 
A simple table may settle this better than one market-wide explanation: original asking price, current price, first-seen date, any disappearance, neighbourhood, condition, seller type where known, and financing-related features stated in the listing. Mark unknowns rather than filling gaps. After that, you can see whether stale stock clusters around late price cuts, heavy competing supply or particular property characteristics—not merely transaction fees.
 
Back
Top