Helsinki 160 m² flat at €515,200 with only one completed comparable

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
What changed my view was the combination of a “new-build” description and finishes that already look dated. This is a 3-bed Helsinki flat of roughly 160 m² at €515,200. Its light and location appeal to me, but the condition is only average and I still need a clearer picture of insurance, maintenance and any property-tax exposure.

The market evidence consists of one recorded transaction and three properties still being advertised. I do not want to value all 160 m² at a single comparable rate when the additional space may be worth less per metre. My first step would be to establish whether the completed property truly matches the micro-location and building type. If it does, I would use it as the main reference and apply separate adjustments for size, condition and parking; if it does not, I would work with a wider valuation range.

What would most alter that approach: the exact street, tenure or lease details, recurring service charges, parking, or private outdoor space? I will also clarify whether this is newly completed or simply a resale in a recent building before commissioning a local appraisal.
 
The 160 m² is the detail that would stop me from using a simple price-per-metre calculation. A larger flat often needs a lower marginal rate for its extra space, so I would compare the core accommodation first and price the surplus area more cautiously.

Use the recorded transaction as the strongest reference if its micro-location and building are genuinely comparable. The three active listings can help define the upper end, but they do not show what buyers have paid. I would also strip out any bundled parking before comparing the figures. Finally, obtain the full service-charge breakdown: a recurring cost can change the sensible purchase price more than a small condition adjustment.
 
The description needs clarifying before choosing a condition adjustment. Is this genuinely newly completed, or a resale in a relatively recent building? “New-build” and “dated finishes” point in different directions. Rather than apply an arbitrary percentage, I would estimate the cost of bringing the finishes to the standard of the completed comparable, then test a range around that amount.
 
Also separate parking from the flat price if any of the comparables bundle a space. The same applies to a balcony, terrace or other outdoor space. With only one completed sale, one bundled feature could make the apparent floor-area adjustment misleading.
 
I’m not convinced service charges are automatically the biggest issue. The date, exact micro-location and size of the completed sale could matter more. A sale nearby but from a different pocket of Helsinki, or for a much smaller flat, is a weak anchor. I would also establish whether any lease applies, its remaining length and how its costs enter the comparison.
 
Fair caveat. I’d build three columns for every property: flat-only price, recurring occupancy costs and physical differences. Normalize parking and outdoor space first, then compare micro-location, floor, light and condition. The completed sale sets the base; the asking comparables should mainly help define an upper boundary unless their eventual sale prices become available.
 
The possible property-tax cost should not be inserted as a guessed haircut. First establish precisely what cost is being referred to, who bears it, and whether it is already reflected through the building or housing-company charges. The treatment can depend on the ownership and land arrangements, so this is one for the local documents and adviser.
 
For floor area, I would run low, central and high cases rather than claim a precise adjustment from one sale. In the low case, give the additional metres a lower marginal value and allow for dated finishes. In the high case, give more credit for light, location and genuinely usable rooms. That makes the uncertainty visible instead of hiding it in one €/m² figure.
 
The next useful information from the seller would be: exact service-charge breakdown, parking arrangement, outdoor space, land ownership or lease details, completion date and evidence behind the “average condition” description. Once those are known, the formal appraiser can reconcile the completed sale with the listing evidence. Until then, €515,200 is best treated as a proposition to test, not a valuation conclusion.
 
Back
Top