Hello from Berlin — real estate agent focused on duplexes

FullPost

Real estate agent
Duplexes are the main condition shaping where I begin, although I am already aware that the term can describe different property layouts. I am a Berlin real estate agent researching transaction costs, renovation, management and the difference between advertised prices and known sale results.

I want to compare how people in other markets define and analyse similar properties without losing the Berlin context. For the Germany discussions, is the local board the best first stop, or would the purchase-cost and market-analysis threads provide a better foundation?
 
The practical constraint is agreeing on the area and on what counts as a duplex before comparing any prices. I would use the Berlin board first to settle those definitions; moving to a market-data thread later is easy, while conclusions built from mismatched property types are harder to undo.

If you mean a central maisonette apartment, follow a different comparison set from someone studying a two-home building farther out. Once that is clear, the renovation, management and purchase-cost discussions should be much easier to filter.
 
When you say duplex, do you mean a maisonette-style apartment or a building containing two separate homes? That distinction will affect which discussions are useful, particularly around management, renovation and modelling rental income.
 
I’d actually begin with first-purchase questions rather than data. Those threads tend to expose costs and process steps that asking-price charts omit. After that, build a simple comparison table showing advertised price, known completion price where available, condition, location, dates and included extras. Otherwise the apparent discount may not be comparable.
 
The mortgage-comparison discussions may also help, even if financing is not your main focus. Different assumptions about deposit, interest, repayment and renovation funding can make two members reach opposite conclusions on the same property.
 
A caution on completed prices: a small collection of visible transactions can look precise without being representative. I’d separate confirmed completions from reported figures and from asking prices, then note how long each listing was marketed. Missing data should stay visibly missing rather than being estimated too confidently.
 
For duplexes, the property-management angle deserves its own column. Shared access, utilities, outdoor space and repair responsibilities can change the practical value even where the headline price looks attractive. The legal position will depend on the exact ownership structure and German jurisdiction, so forum checklists are prompts, not substitutes for local review.
 
Good point from emmaj47, although I wouldn’t postpone the data work completely. Starting a rough model early makes the gaps obvious. Transaction costs, renovation, financing and ongoing management can sit in separate lines, with ranges where the figure is uncertain.
 
To answer the question I raised earlier: if you mean maisonettes, renovation layout and comparable apartment sales may be the useful route. If you mean two-unit buildings, rental assumptions, vacant possession, shared systems and management become much more important. It would help if you clarify which category dominates your research.
 
Cross-market comparisons work best when the definitions travel. Price per square metre is easy to compare but can conceal condition, tenure, outdoor space and whether transaction costs are included. I’d pick one Berlin example and ask members elsewhere to model that same fact pattern in their market rather than compare broad averages.
 
That would make a strong follow-up thread: one anonymised property, its advertised price, building type, condition, expected renovation scope and a blank field for the eventual completed price. Members could explain what they would verify before modelling it, without anyone pretending the markets are directly interchangeable.
 
My reading order would now be: local board for terminology, first-purchase and legal checklist discussions for process, renovation and management threads for hidden costs, then mortgage and investment modelling. Keep your advertised-versus-completed-price work as a separate research strand so financing assumptions do not get mistaken for market evidence.
 
Back
Top