Frequent small maintenance requests: normal ownership cost or a pattern? Near Toronto

fresh_cedar

Landlord
Another small repair request arrived this week, which has made me look at the pattern rather than the individual jobs. Nothing reported at my Toronto condo sounds unreasonable, and the tenant is dependable, but paying a separate contractor minimum each time is becoming inefficient.

How do landlords decide when minor items can wait for one coordinated visit and when they need prompt attention? I am also wondering whether repeated faults in one appliance or fixture should trigger replacement rather than another repair. I want to preserve a good tenancy and avoid turnover or vacancy costs, while still following local access and notice requirements when visits are grouped.
 
Keep a maintenance log by appliance or area, not just by date. Respond promptly, but ask for photos and enough detail to judge urgency. Anything that could cause damage or affect normal use should be handled separately; genuinely minor items can be grouped with the tenant’s agreement. A reliable payer is worth considering because even one turnover and vacancy can cost more than several sensible repairs.
 
Are these requests connected to the same appliance or system, or are they unrelated? That changes the answer. I’d also check whether any item falls under the condo corporation rather than the unit owner, and whether your contractor charges a minimum per visit. Appliance age and previous service history may reveal that repeated repairs are becoming poor value.
 
I’d be cautious about letting retention value become the test for whether work gets done. Rent level and payment reliability matter when weighing the overall relationship, but they do not make a necessary repair optional. Frequency alone also doesn’t show that the tenant is being unreasonable.

Batch only non-urgent work, document the tenant’s agreement, and follow the applicable Toronto/Ontario notice requirements and condo access procedures. If damage may be tenant-caused, establish that separately rather than treating ordinary maintenance requests as something to recover automatically from a deposit.
 
That distinction helps. I haven’t yet organised the requests by appliance or checked each item against the condo’s responsibilities, so I’ll do both before drawing conclusions from the number of calls. Going forward I’ll request photos, record urgency and prior repairs, then offer a combined appointment window for non-urgent items while dealing with anything damage-related promptly. That should also give me better evidence for deciding whether replacement makes more sense than another service visit.
 
Back
Top