Frequent small maintenance requests: normal ownership cost or a pattern? at $545,000

QuinnDrew

Homeowner
I have a $545,000 townhouse in Los Angeles where the tenant has made several minor maintenance requests over the past few months. Every item sounds plausible and the rent is consistently on time, but separate call-out charges are becoming expensive.

How do other landlords decide what can reasonably be grouped into one visit without becoming unresponsive? I also want to work out whether the plumbing-related symptoms point to one underlying problem rather than unrelated small jobs. I’m particularly interested in how people weigh maintenance history, tenant retention and possible turnover costs in a townhouse.
 
Start a log showing the date, location, symptom, contractor finding and final repair. Repeated issues around the same fixture, wall or line may reveal a connection that separate invoices obscure.

For non-urgent items, ask for a written description and photos, then offer a combined appointment rather than simply delaying. Anything affecting habitability or likely to worsen should stay separate and prompt. Also follow Los Angeles notice requirements before entry. Are the requests recurring in one area, or merely all described as plumbing?
 
That distinction is exactly what I haven’t documented well enough. They are not all identical complaints, so I have been treating each as a standalone job rather than comparing locations and previous findings.

I’ll reconstruct the history from the invoices and ask the contractor whether any symptoms could share a cause. For future non-urgent requests, I’ll propose a scheduled combined visit while still responding to each request when it arrives.
 
Calling a contractor for every small symptom is expensive; holding everything for one visit risks missing the item that cannot wait. Neither option works unless someone qualified, rather than the tenant, decides what is safe to group.

The other cost missing from the invoices is losing a reliable payer through slow responses. The townhouse being worth $545,000 does not make a request necessary or unnecessary, but the maintenance log and contractor findings may show whether the pattern is real. Use those records to triage repairs, then weigh retention against vacancy and turnover when reviewing the tenancy—not when deciding whether a credible fault should be addressed.
 
A practical next step is to give one plumber the earlier invoices and ask whether a single inspection would clarify the pattern. Keep urgent and non-urgent lists separate, agree appointment windows with the tenant, and document the required entry notice.

Also separate normal maintenance from tenant-caused damage. Do not assume accumulated small repairs belong against the deposit; record evidence and check the applicable local deposit rules if damage is actually identified. Then compare the inspection cost with continuing call-outs, plus the likely vacancy time and turnover cost if responsiveness affects retention.
 
Back
Top