Completion was a relief, but the repair reserve is now my main concern. Several inspection items remain uncertain, and the final insurance and transaction fees took more cash than I had expected.
The paperwork also moved slowly because responsibility for the next step was not always clear. Even the unsuccessful bids taught me something about acceptable prices in the local market, but they did not prepare me for that lack of coordination after acceptance.
How much did others keep available after closing, particularly where an inspection identified work without establishing when it would become urgent? I would now separate that money from the ordinary purchase costs rather than rely on one general contingency.
The paperwork also moved slowly because responsibility for the next step was not always clear. Even the unsuccessful bids taught me something about acceptable prices in the local market, but they did not prepare me for that lack of coordination after acceptance.
How much did others keep available after closing, particularly where an inspection identified work without establishing when it would become urgent? I would now separate that money from the ordinary purchase costs rather than rely on one general contingency.