First-time LA buyer: is $42,000 enough cash after closing?

PracticalSignal

First-time buyer
Established
The $42,000 remaining sounds adequate until I look at the inspection list. My specific concern is how quickly several ordinary first-year expenses could arrive together after buying this 2-bed Los Angeles coastal home for about $585,000.

I need to separate money that must stay available for emergencies from moving costs and repairs that cannot wait. Furniture can be delayed, but I do not yet know how much to reserve for the actual insurance premium and deductible, prepaids or other closing-related charges. How would you rank those uses of cash while keeping a meaningful buffer after completion?
 
I would set the emergency fund first, based on your essential monthly spending, and treat that amount as unavailable. Then reserve cash for moving, the first mortgage payment and only the inspection items that genuinely cannot wait. Furniture comes last; an under-furnished home is inconvenient, but an empty emergency fund is dangerous.
 
The $42,000 figure needs more context. How many months of essential expenses would it cover after the new mortgage begins? Also confirm whether it is genuinely after all prepaids, any association or service charges, and the insurance premium. For a coastal property, I would want the actual premium and deductible rather than a rough online estimate.
 
That helps. I’m going to separate the report into urgent, first-year and cosmetic items instead of mentally pricing the whole document at once. I’ll also confirm the insurance deductible, any recurring charges and exactly when the first mortgage payment falls. Furniture can be limited to what is needed to live there initially.
 
Good approach. I would not assign money to every line in the report yet. Ask the inspector which findings indicate an active problem and which are maintenance observations, then obtain estimates for the expensive-looking items. A long list is less useful than a short list with timing and realistic costs.
 
One caveat: delaying everything just to preserve a large cash balance is not automatically safer. A small issue that is actively causing damage may deserve priority over an arbitrary emergency-fund target. If an urgent finding is costly, consider whether the price or terms can be renegotiated rather than simply absorbing it from the $42,000.
 
I agree with prioritising active problems, but the insurance number could change the comfort level before repairs even enter the picture. Get a quote for this particular home and note the deductible or excess you would have to fund after a claim. That amount should not be confused with the repair budget.
 
Also reconcile the $42,000 against the latest closing estimate, not just the original calculation. Check whether moving costs, prepaids, utility setup, applicable service or association charges, and the first mortgage payment are already represented. Otherwise the apparent post-closing buffer may contain money that is already spoken for.
 
I’d use four separate buckets: untouchable emergency savings, known moving and setup costs, inspection work that must be done promptly, and optional purchases. Do not transfer unused money from the first bucket to furniture. If the repair estimates come in low, you can furnish gradually after seeing what normal monthly ownership actually costs.
 
The practical decision point comes after the written repair estimates and property-specific insurance figure arrive. If paying the urgent items would push the emergency fund below the level needed for your essential expenses, that supports renegotiating, choosing a cheaper home or walking away. If the buffer survives that test, the report’s cosmetic items can wait.
 
Back
Top