HK$70,200 would be all the cash remaining after the deposit and estimated purchase costs on a 5-bed country home priced at about HK$3,744,000. That figure makes me unsure whether to proceed or look for something cheaper.
I would first have to pay for the move and anything urgent identified by the inspection. The same pot may also be needed for initial mortgage and building-related payments, an insurance claim excess, and enough basic furniture to make part of the house usable. I do not mind leaving bedrooms empty for a while.
Would you wait for the inspection before setting a minimum reserve, then reconsider the offer if essential work takes the buffer below that level? My income could rebuild savings over time, but I do not want the purchase to depend on a trouble-free first year.
I would first have to pay for the move and anything urgent identified by the inspection. The same pot may also be needed for initial mortgage and building-related payments, an insurance claim excess, and enough basic furniture to make part of the house usable. I do not mind leaving bedrooms empty for a while.
Would you wait for the inspection before setting a minimum reserve, then reconsider the offer if essential work takes the buffer below that level? My income could rebuild savings over time, but I do not want the purchase to depend on a trouble-free first year.