First-time buyer in Vancouver: is C$25,650 enough cash to keep after closing?

swimsAndPost

Homeowner
If I misjudge the cash reserve, a manageable first-year problem could become expensive very quickly. I am looking at a 5-bed Vancouver apartment for about C$634,500 and expect to retain roughly C$25,650 after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

That sum has several competing jobs: the move, the opening mortgage instalment, building charges, the insurance deductible and any work that cannot wait. Furniture can be delayed, but leaks, safety items or repairs that worsen with time cannot. The inspection may therefore change the calculation substantially.

Is C$25,650 a sensible reserve at this price, or does it suggest I should lower my purchase budget? I am trying to compare the inconvenience of buying more slowly with the more serious risk of having no untouched emergency cash.
 
C$25,650 doesn’t sound automatically too low, but I wouldn’t start by dividing all of it into spending categories. First ring-fence an emergency amount that stays untouched, then account for the move, first mortgage payment and any known charges. Furniture comes last; a partly empty apartment is inconvenient, not urgent.

The inspection is what could change the answer materially.
 
One missing detail: does your closing-cost estimate include every payment due around possession, or only the larger items? Also, what monthly housing cost are you expecting once the mortgage and service charge are combined? A cash buffer is only meaningful relative to how quickly your regular income can rebuild it.
 
I’d be a little more cautious than that. Five bedrooms can mean more rooms to furnish and potentially more small repairs, even if nothing serious appears in the inspection. Moving costs also have a habit of expanding.

I’d price three versions before committing: an uneventful move, a move plus the inspection’s urgent items, and that same scenario with an insurance deductible or another unexpected bill.
 
That said, I wouldn’t lower the purchase budget solely because all five bedrooms cannot be furnished immediately. Separate habitability from appearance. Safety issues, leaks and anything likely to worsen belong in the first-year budget; spare-room furniture and cosmetic work can wait.

Ask the inspector to distinguish urgent work from maintenance that can reasonably be monitored.
 
Also look closely at the apartment’s service-charge history and any information provided about upcoming building work. A clean inspection inside the unit does not necessarily answer what you may have to contribute at building level. I’d want clarity on that before deciding how much of the C$25,650 is genuinely spare.
 
I would not reduce the purchase price merely because the first three months look expensive, but I also would not assume the full C$25,650 is a reserve. Those are different conclusions.

Map each payment from the offer date through possession and the first three mortgage months. Leave emergency cash untouched, include only essential moving costs and urgent repairs, and postpone furniture. Then verify the first payment date and insurance deductible with the providers, and review the apartment’s service-charge history plus any information about planned building work. If that cautious schedule consumes nearly everything, a home below C$634,500 is the safer adjustment.
 
Back
Top