First-time buyer in Vancouver: how much cash should remain after closing?

I’m considering a 4-bed townhouse in Vancouver at around C$1,256,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly C$32,400 left.

That sounds reasonable until I divide it among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs, furniture, the first mortgage payment and anything an inspection uncovers. There are also strata charges and the possibility of an insurance deductible. How would you split this buffer? I’d rather buy slightly below my maximum than turn every ordinary first-year issue into a financial emergency.

Yesterday I was excited; today every compromise feels enormous.
 
I wouldn’t treat the whole C$32,400 as available for setting up the house. Ring-fence the majority as an emergency fund, then create smaller moving and urgent-repair pots. Furniture would come last and could be bought room by room.

Also make sure the first mortgage payment, insurance and initial strata charge are covered by normal monthly income rather than quietly consuming that reserve.
 
How firm is the C$32,400 figure? Is it after actual quotes and adjustments, or after broad estimates? I’d also want to know what the inspection says and whether the strata information points to upcoming building work. A townhouse that appears fine inside can still expose you to shared-cost issues.
 
That’s why I’d avoid assigning precise amounts before the inspection and paperwork are available. My rough approach would be three layers: money that is never touched except for a genuine emergency, money for known moving and closing-period expenses, and a flexible remainder for inspection items. Furniture gets no dedicated allocation until those first two layers survive closing.
 
I slightly disagree with making a large fixed emergency number the starting point. The right reserve also depends on monthly cash flow, employment stability and how much the mortgage and strata costs leave you each month. C$32,400 may be comfortable for one household and thin for another.

List the likely first-year work by urgency: safety or water issues first, deterioration second, cosmetic items last. An inspection is still only a snapshot, so don’t spend the leftover balance immediately even if the report is clean.
 
This has helped. I was mentally treating C$32,400 as one reassuring total rather than several pots with different purposes. I’m going to confirm the closing estimates, first payment date, strata charges and insurance deductible, then wait for the inspection before assigning anything to repairs. Furniture can remain at the bottom of the list. If that leaves too little genuinely untouched, I’ll lower the target price rather than argue myself into it.
 
That sounds like the sensible test: calculate the amount still untouched after every known near-term expense, not the amount visible in the account on closing day. Keep a written pre-closing list and update it as quotes arrive. If an inspection finding cannot be priced yet, assume the uncertainty belongs in the reserve rather than dismissing it. And give yourself a short no-cosmetic-spending period after moving in; priorities often change once you live there.
 
Back
Top