First-time buyer in Toronto: dividing C$51,300 after closing

bea_miles

First-time buyer
C$51,300 sounds like a reasonable post-closing cushion, but a 5-bed apartment can produce several costs at once. The Toronto purchase would be about C$1,937,000, and the inspection may still identify work needed soon after possession.

My priority is to preserve cash for the commitments that cannot be postponed, including the first mortgage payment, service charges and a genuine emergency reserve. How much would you then set aside for moving and repairs before buying furniture? I can delay furnishing spare rooms, but I do not want to discover that money due in the first month was counted twice.
 
Yes, I would reserve the first mortgage payment separately rather than mentally spending the full C$51,300. I’d also ring-fence the emergency fund before allocating anything to furniture. A rough starting split could be C$30,000 emergency cash, C$10,000 repairs, C$5,000 moving, C$3,000 furniture and C$3,300 unassigned. Adjust once the inspection is back.
 
Does the C$51,300 calculation include every payment due shortly after closing, not just the closing statement? I’d list the mortgage payment, service charges, utilities, insurance and any moving overlap by date. Also check the insurance excess you’d have to pay if there were a claim. Cash available on closing day can look healthier than cash available one month later.
 
Good point. I’d go further and leave the C$3,300 unassigned until the first couple of service-charge and utility payments have cleared. The suggested C$3,000 furniture allowance is enough only if the buyer is willing to furnish slowly, which seems sensible for five bedrooms.
 
I’m less comfortable with only C$10,000 for repairs on a purchase of this size. The inspection may identify nothing dramatic, but several ordinary items can arrive together. I would delay most furniture and keep perhaps C$15,000–C$20,000 available for immediate work, with the emergency fund untouched. Empty rooms are inconvenient; borrowing for an urgent repair is worse.
 
That may be too conservative if the apartment’s major components and common areas are well maintained. The inspection findings should drive the repair reserve rather than the purchase price alone. I’d ask for each finding to be separated into urgent, first year and cosmetic. Service charges also matter: confirm what they cover so you don’t reserve twice for costs already included.
 
Agreed that inspection categories are more useful than one scary total. Still, apartment inspections may not answer every question about shared parts of the building. Before deciding the buffer, I’d want clarity on any known upcoming building work and whether it could create an additional owner payment. That uncertainty belongs in the unassigned pot, not the furniture budget.
 
Practical order: first set aside all payments due through the first mortgage cycle; second, preserve the emergency fund; third, fund only inspection items that affect safety, water or basic use; fourth, pay for moving; last, buy furniture room by room. Get moving quotes rather than guessing, because a 5-bed move could vary greatly depending on how much is coming with you.
 
The bigger decision is whether C$51,300 still lets you sleep comfortably after accounting for the unknowns. Make a worst-plausible first-90-days list using actual quotes and payment dates. If that leaves too little emergency cash, buying below C$1,937,000 is a reasonable conclusion—not a failure to stretch. The inspection result and monthly service charges should determine how far below.
 
Back
Top