First-time buyer in Sydney: how much cash buffer after closing? (1 bed)

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have about A$51,680 left if I bought a 1-bed apartment around A$1,262,000 in Sydney. The inspection may also identify ordinary first-year work.

I’m trying to decide whether that is a comfortable buffer or a sign to buy below my maximum. How would you divide it among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture, while allowing for service charges, an insurance excess and the first mortgage payment?
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first, based on several months of your actual mortgage and essential spending, rather than using a percentage of the purchase price. Then set aside known moving and repair costs. Furniture comes last and can be bought gradually.

Does the A$51,680 already allow for the timing of the first mortgage payment and any service charges due soon after settlement? Those can make the opening month look tighter than expected.
 
I partly disagree with treating all repair money as separate from the emergency fund before you have the inspection findings. If the report identifies work that is necessary immediately, that is a known purchase cost, not an emergency. Price it, adjust your offer if appropriate, and only then see what remains genuinely untouched.

Also check whether there are any likely building expenses beyond the apartment itself. A good buffer can disappear quickly if you focus only on furniture and internal repairs.
 
Make a settlement-day budget and a six-month budget. List the first mortgage payment, moving, service charges, insurance and the relevant excess, plus only essential repairs and basic furniture. Keep the emergency amount in a separate account and delay everything else.

If that exercise requires dipping into emergency savings for predictable bills, I’d lower the purchase ceiling. If it leaves the core reserve intact, A$51,680 becomes much more meaningful than the headline amount alone.
 
Back
Top