First-time buyer in Stockholm: how much cash should remain after closing?

cai.fable

Homeowner
Established
I can keep most of the SEK 426,400 untouched, but then the 3-bed would remain sparsely furnished. Or I can make it comfortable quickly and risk leaving too little for repairs. Neither option feels sensible before I know the service charge and inspection results.

The condo is in Stockholm and costs about SEK 2,028,000. How would you sequence the emergency fund, moving expenses, essential furniture and any early work? I am leaning towards protecting a fixed reserve and delaying everything that can easily be bought later.
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for decorating. Then reserve separate amounts for moving, the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess and only inspection items that genuinely need prompt attention. Furniture can be bought gradually once you know how you use the rooms. SEK 426,400 gives you room, but only if the “available” balance doesn’t become one large shopping budget.
 
What does the monthly service charge include, and how stable does it appear? That could matter more than choosing a perfect split now. I’d also wait for the inspection before assigning a repair amount.

One caveat to the previous reply: some furniture is an immediate need, not decoration. List essentials such as a bed, table and lighting separately from upgrades, then postpone the rest.
 
I wouldn’t lock the money into rigid percentages yet. Make a first-year cash timeline instead: closing and moving, the first mortgage and service-charge payments, essential furniture, then inspection work by urgency. Keep the emergency reserve untouched throughout. If that timeline feels tight under a pessimistic repair scenario, reducing the purchase budget is the safer answer; if it still leaves a substantial reserve, the SEK 2,028,000 target may be reasonably conservative.
 
Back
Top