First-time buyer in Santiago: how much cash should remain after closing?

sage_quill

First-time buyer
CLP 28,200,000 is approximately what would remain once I have paid the deposit and expected purchase costs. The property I’m considering is a one-bedroom townhouse in Santiago priced around CLP 239,700,000, and I expect there may be routine work during the first year.

I’m trying to decide how much of that balance must remain untouched for emergencies and how much can safely cover the move, urgent inspection items and basic furniture. A furnished home immediately would be appealing, but not if it leaves too little for a mortgage payment, recurring service charges or an insurance claim excess. How would you set the minimum reserve before deciding what can be spent?
 
Start by separating the true emergency fund from house spending. That portion should cover essential living costs and mortgage payments if your income is interrupted, not furniture or planned repairs.

From the rest, reserve money for moving and any inspection items that affect safety, security or preventing further damage. Furniture can be bought gradually. A half-empty home is inconvenient; having no cash when something fails is worse.
 
Does the CLP 28,200,000 remain after the first mortgage payment is set aside, or are you counting on paying that from your next salary? Also, do you know whether this townhouse has recurring common or service charges, and what insurance excess you would carry? Those details could materially change what is genuinely available for repairs.
 
As a provisional split, not a universal rule, I’d model CLP 16,000,000 as untouchable emergency savings, CLP 4,000,000 for moving and near-term payment timing, CLP 5,000,000 for necessary work, and CLP 3,200,000 for basic furniture. That totals the CLP 28,200,000.

Then revise it after the inspection. If urgent work exceeds the repair allowance, that is a reason to reconsider the price or the property—not automatically a reason to empty the emergency fund.
 
I wouldn’t allocate CLP 5,000,000 to repairs before seeing the inspection. A vague repair pot tends to get spent on cosmetic jobs. Ask for findings to be divided into immediate, within the first year, and optional, then seek prices for the immediate items. Until then, keep that money liquid and uncommitted.
 
The CLP 16,000,000 emergency figure is also arbitrary without knowing monthly essential spending. Work backwards from the number of months you want protected, including the mortgage, service charges, insurance and basic living costs.

I agree about delaying furniture, but don’t underbudget the move itself. Make a room-by-room list of what is essential on day one, what can wait three months, and what is purely decorative.
 
I’d build a simple cash calendar covering closing day through the first three months. Put the mortgage payment date, moving payments, insurance, any common charges and the inspection priorities on it. That catches timing problems that a single total can hide.

Also compare this townhouse with a slightly cheaper option using cash left after the same essential reserves. If the cheaper purchase leaves enough room to handle inspection findings without touching the emergency fund, that may be the more comfortable maximum.
 
Back
Top