First-time buyer in Paris: is €9,200 enough cash after closing?

hugo.linden

First-time buyer
Established
On paper the purchase is possible, but I am uneasy about how little cash would remain. I am a first-time buyer considering a 5-bed Paris apartment for about €1,178,000, and my current estimate leaves only €9,200 available once the deposit and closing expenses are paid.

That remaining money would need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and any bills arriving before my normal cash flow settles. I have not yet mapped the timing of the first mortgage instalment, service charges and insurance costs. Nonessential furniture can wait, but damage-prevention work cannot.

Would you ring-fence an emergency amount first and reduce the purchase budget if the known early payments consume the rest?
 
At that purchase price, €9,200 sounds uncomfortably thin to me. I would protect the emergency fund first, then reserve cash for moving and only truly urgent inspection items. Furniture can arrive gradually.

Before deciding, list every payment due between signing and the second mortgage payment. If that list uses a substantial part of the €9,200, I would lower the property budget.
 
Do your estimated closing costs already include everything payable around completion, and do you know when the first mortgage payment and service charges fall? Timing matters: a buffer can look adequate on paper but still fail if several bills land in the same month.

I’d also ask the inspector to separate safety or damage-prevention work from cosmetic recommendations. “First-year work” is too broad for budgeting.
 
I agree it is tight, but I would not choose an arbitrary buffer without considering monthly income after the purchase. Someone able to rebuild savings quickly is in a different position from someone whose mortgage consumes nearly all spare income.

Still, furniture should not compete with emergency cash. Start with what makes the apartment functional, keep the rest unfurnished if necessary, and retain enough to cover the insurance excess plus an unexpected repair.
 
The size of the apartment is relevant too. A 5-bed gives you more rooms to move into and furnish, but there is no need to finish all of them immediately. The bigger concern is whether service charges or inspection findings point to costs that cannot be deferred.

I would want those figures before treating any portion of the €9,200 as available for furniture.
 
One addition to rosa’s timing point: keep the buffer in separate pots, even if only on a spreadsheet. For example: completion-to-first-payment cash flow, moving, urgent work and untouched emergency savings. Do not let a cheap-looking sofa or cosmetic repair quietly borrow from the emergency pot.

If you cannot leave one pot genuinely untouched, that is evidence the purchase price is too close to your maximum.
 
My practical next step would be to pause the final affordability decision until you have three items: the inspection priorities, the service-charge schedule and the lender’s first-payment date. Then obtain realistic moving and essential-repair estimates and run a bad first-month scenario, including an insurance excess.

If €9,200 still covers that scenario with emergency cash remaining, the position is clearer. If not, buying below €1,178,000 is the safer trade-off.
 
Back
Top