First-time buyer in Mexico City: is MX$324,000 enough cash after closing?

miro_lane

First-time buyer
Putting most of the cash into a generous emergency fund feels safe, but it could leave necessary work unfunded. Allocating it to repairs and moving costs first would make me nervous for the opposite reason.

I am considering a 2-bed country home in Mexico City at about MX$12,420,000. Once the deposit and expected purchase costs are paid, around MX$324,000 should remain, subject to whatever the inspection finds.

How would you prioritise the cash among essential work, moving, an insurance excess, general savings and basic furniture? I can delay furnishing rooms, and I am willing to reduce the purchase budget if this balance is too thin for the first year.
 
I would not divide it equally. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, including enough room for the first mortgage payment and insurance excess. Then allow for moving and only inspection-backed urgent repairs. Furniture comes last; a sparsely furnished home is inconvenient, but losing your cash cushion is much worse.
 
What does MX$324,000 represent in months of your essential spending once the mortgage begins? The amount alone is difficult to judge without the monthly payment, insurance and any service charges. Also, is the closing-cost estimate firm enough to include smaller transaction expenses, or could those still come from this balance?
 
One more distinction: an inspection can identify work without proving it must all be done immediately. Ask the inspector to separate safety or weather-related items from maintenance that can wait six or twelve months. That prioritisation could materially change how much of the MX$324,000 needs a repair label.
 
I agree on postponing furniture, but I would be cautious about treating the first mortgage payment as part of the emergency fund. It is a known expense, so it should already have its own allocation. Otherwise the emergency number looks healthier than it really is.
 
Paying for all identified work immediately could consume the buffer, while reserving everything for emergencies might postpone repairs that prevent greater expense later.

I would first remove known outgoings such as the initial mortgage payment, confirmed moving costs and unavoidable charges. Next, price only the inspection items that genuinely cannot wait and keep the insurance excess available. The remaining amount can then be measured against several months of essential spending. If that cushion feels inadequate, the safer adjustment is the purchase price rather than optimistic repair timing. Furniture can remain basic until the house shows what is actually needed.
 
With a country home, I would pay particular attention to inspection findings that could expose other work once opened up. A single repair estimate is not necessarily the final bill. Rather than assigning the whole repair pot now, get the report, request prices for the urgent items and keep some contingency uncommitted.
 
There is also a case against setting an arbitrary minimum buffer before seeing the property’s actual condition. A well-maintained home with predictable charges is different from one with several aging systems. I would compare the MX$324,000 against a property-specific first-year list, not just use a generic percentage of the MX$12,420,000 price.
 
Mateo’s point is why I would avoid ordering furniture before the inspection questions are settled. Make three lists after the report: required before moving in, required during year one, and cosmetic. Add moving, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service charges to the first list. If that total leaves an emergency fund you are uncomfortable with, offering less or choosing a cheaper home is the cleaner solution.
 
Back
Top