The figure that caught me off guard is the cash left at the end: only €9,200 beside a €1,210,000 purchase. That is my estimated balance after the deposit and closing costs for a four-bedroom new-build flat in Madrid.
It still needs to cover the move, anything urgent found at inspection and possibly the first mortgage payment. I can leave the spare rooms empty for a while, but I cannot postpone a necessary repair or the removal bill.
Would you set aside an emergency fund before allocating anything to those costs, or does the small balance make the purchase too tight regardless? I am leaning towards a cheaper property unless my budget confirms that the mortgage payment and move are already covered.
It still needs to cover the move, anything urgent found at inspection and possibly the first mortgage payment. I can leave the spare rooms empty for a while, but I cannot postpone a necessary repair or the removal bill.
Would you set aside an emergency fund before allocating anything to those costs, or does the small balance make the purchase too tight regardless? I am leaning towards a cheaper property unless my budget confirms that the mortgage payment and move are already covered.