First-time buyer in Los Angeles: is a $40,000 post-closing buffer enough?

mina.shaw

First-time buyer
I have estimated the deposit and closing costs, but the amount needed after completion is still unclear. The property is a 5-bed villa in Los Angeles at about $1,095,000, and I expect to retain around $40,000 before dealing with any inspection findings.

I need to divide that balance between an untouched emergency fund, moving expenses, urgent repairs and basic furniture. My instinct is to leave furniture until later and reduce the purchase budget if necessary, because the purchase price is the part I cannot readily undo. I still need to confirm any association charges, the insurance deductible and when the first mortgage payment falls due. How would you decide how much of the $40,000 must remain untouched?
 
I’d keep the emergency fund separate first, based on several months of your essential spending after the mortgage begins. Then reserve money for moving and only inspection items that affect safety, water intrusion or basic function. Furniture can come gradually.

The missing number is your monthly post-purchase outgoings, including any association charges and insurance. Without that, $40,000 could be comfortable or quite thin. Also confirm the first-payment timing with the lender rather than assuming it is covered by the closing estimate.
 
You have a closing estimate, but the inspection costs and true monthly outgoings are still unknown. That makes it difficult to decide whether $40,000 is a reserve or merely money already committed to the move.

Price the identified repairs, moving costs and insurance deductible first, then set aside an emergency amount based on essential spending once the mortgage begins. Furniture is reversible and can be delayed. Stretching to a $1,095,000 purchase is not, so if those deductions leave little protection against several ordinary repairs arriving together, I would lower the buying limit rather than squeeze the furniture budget.
 
Back
Top