First-time buyer in Los Angeles: how much cash should remain after closing?

mina.shaw

First-time buyer
Buying the 5-bed coastal home for about $420,000 could leave me with roughly $41,000 after the deposit and estimated closing costs; choosing something cheaper would protect more cash but could mean giving up a property that otherwise fits. Neither option feels comfortable while the inspection and several ownership costs remain uncertain.

I need a sensible order for the money left over. My current list includes an emergency reserve, moving costs, the first mortgage payment, essential inspection work and basic furniture. I’m prepared to delay furnishing, and I do not want routine first-year repairs to consume all my spare cash. Which amounts should be fixed before I decide whether this purchase is genuinely affordable?
 
I wouldn’t divide it evenly. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on several months of your essential outgoings. Then account for moving and the first mortgage payment, followed by inspection-identified repairs. Furniture comes last and can be bought gradually.

Does the $41,000 already allow for insurance, its deductible, and any service charges or HOA costs? Those missing items matter more than choosing a furniture budget now.
 
That question exposes the weak spot in my calculation. The $41,000 is what remains after the deposit and estimated closing costs, but I still need to confirm which insurance and service-charge items are included and plan separately for the first mortgage payment. I’m going to treat furniture as optional rather than part of the moving budget.
 
If the reserve is allocated too early, the inspection or insurance figures could turn an apparently comfortable purchase into a tight one. Ravi’s ordering makes sense, but I would leave the final emergency amount untouched until the major unknowns are clearer.

Confirm the insurance premium and deductible, identify any service or HOA charges, and price the inspection items that protect safety or prevent further damage. Then set aside the first mortgage payment and basic moving costs. Whatever remains can guide the furniture budget; if the essential items already threaten the reserve, the price or the property needs another look.
 
A practical order would be: untouchable emergency savings; first mortgage payment and known recurring charges; essential repairs; basic moving costs; then furniture. Make two repair lists—needed for safety or preventing damage, and merely cosmetic. If the first list leaves the emergency fund looking thin, that is a reason to lower the purchase price or reconsider the property, not to borrow from the reserve.
 
Back
Top