First-time buyer in Lisbon: how much cash buffer after closing?

fair_bridge

First-time buyer
Established
I want to complete the purchase without being left cash-poor, but I am struggling to judge how much of the remaining money is genuinely available to spend. The property is a 2-bed condo in Lisbon at about €220,800, and I expect to have around €19,320 after the deposit and closing costs.

The mortgage itself fits my budget. The uncertainty is everything around the first year: moving, any urgent inspection findings, the insurance excess and basic furnishings. How much would you keep untouched as an emergency fund before allocating money to those items? I am willing to reduce the purchase budget if €19,320 is too thin once the condo’s regular charges and possible building work are considered.
 
I wouldn’t divide the full €19,320 into spending categories yet. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your essential monthly outgoings, including the mortgage and service charges. Then set aside known moving costs and anything the inspection says cannot wait. Furniture comes last and can be bought gradually.

Do you already know the condo’s regular service charge and whether any building-wide work is expected? Those could change the picture more than decorating costs.
 
One caveat: even a reassuring inspection won’t reveal every first-year expense. Leave a general property reserve rather than assigning all remaining cash to named repairs. I’d also allow for the insurance excess and make sure the first mortgage payment is covered without dipping into the emergency fund.

For furniture, start with what makes the flat functional, not finished.
 
A practical way to test the €19,320 is to make a cash calendar for the first three months after closing: mortgage payment, service charges, insurance, moving, essential repairs and only then furniture. Keep the emergency amount on a separate line and don’t count it as available spending. If the calendar feels tight before any inspection findings are added, that supports your instinct to buy below the maximum.
 
Back
Top