First-time buyer in Johannesburg: how much cash to keep after closing?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I have checked the deposit and provisional closing-cost figures, but the inspection result, moving bill and likely insurance excess are still unclear. Our offer of about ZAR 26,120,000 has been accepted on a three-bedroom Johannesburg condo after we lost out to several less conditional offers. On the current estimates, around ZAR 473,200 would remain afterward.

I do not want to assign all of that before the inspection is settled. My instinct is to protect an emergency reserve first, then cover moving and urgent defects, with nonessential furniture delayed. How would others divide the cash, and which inspection findings would justify using the repair portion immediately rather than holding it back for the first year?
 
I would not allocate the whole ZAR 473,200 yet. First ring-fence several months of essential household costs, including the mortgage, service charges, insurance and utilities. Then reserve cash for inspection items and moving. Furniture comes last unless you genuinely lack basics such as beds or a table.
 
What does “estimated closing costs” include, and when is the first mortgage payment expected? Also, do you know the monthly service charge and your likely insurance excess? Without those figures, the remaining amount can look more comfortable than it really is.
 
I agree about waiting for the inspection, but I would set provisional buckets now: untouchable emergency money, known move-in expenses, and a smaller flexible amount for repairs. Leave furniture unassigned until you have lived with the rooms for a while. New owners often buy for imagined spaces rather than how they actually use the condo.
 
One caveat: putting furniture entirely last is too rigid. If the move requires basic appliances, window coverings or somewhere to sleep, those are move-in costs rather than decoration. Make a short “needed on day one” list and separate it from everything that can wait three or six months.
 
Fair distinction. I would also divide inspection findings into three groups: safety or water-related work, items that could worsen if delayed, and cosmetic work. Only the first two should compete with the initial repair reserve. A long inspection list does not mean every item needs funding immediately.
 
The service charge deserves more attention because it is recurring, not a one-off closing expense. Confirm the actual amount and ask whether any substantial shared-building work is anticipated. Even if nothing unusual is expected, your emergency calculation should include that monthly obligation alongside the mortgage.
 
There is also a difference between having cash left and having affordable monthly ownership. If the mortgage plus service charges leaves little monthly surplus, ZAR 473,200 could gradually become an operating subsidy. I would model the first 12 months, including the first mortgage payment, before deciding how much is genuinely available for repairs or furnishings.
 
This is helpful. I had mentally treated the ZAR 473,200 as four spending pots, but I now see the emergency portion should not be a spending pot at all. I am going to add the mortgage, service charge, insurance and normal household costs to a 12-month cash-flow sheet, then wait for the inspection before assigning a repair amount. Furniture will be split into day-one essentials and later purchases.
 
When the inspection arrives, ask for rough priorities rather than reacting to the total number of observations. Also get actual moving estimates; packing, transport and small setup purchases can add up even when no major furniture is bought. Keep some unallocated cash because the first few weeks tend to reveal practical issues an inspection cannot predict.
 
I would resist choosing a neat percentage for each category. Percentages ignore whether the condo needs ZAR 20,000 or ZAR 200,000 of prompt work. Build the emergency reserve from monthly essential expenses, price the move from quotes, use the inspection to estimate urgent repairs, and let furniture absorb only what remains.
 
Before closing, run one pessimistic version too: a higher-than-expected moving bill, payment of the insurance excess, an urgent repair and the first mortgage payment landing close together. You do not need to assume all of that will happen, but if the plan survives that cluster without touching long-term emergency savings, the buffer is doing its job.
 
Back
Top