First-time buyer in Doha: how much cash should remain after closing?

even_thread

Homeowner
Established
I keep moving between two plausible plans: leave nearly all the cash untouched after completion, or assign each part of it a job immediately. On a Doha 1-bed townhouse costing about QAR 964,600, I estimate that QAR 145,600 would remain after the deposit and expected closing expenses.

That sounds like a decent cushion until I account for moving, the first mortgage instalment, service charges, basic furniture and anything the inspection says cannot wait. I do not yet know how closely those payments will fall together.

Would you set a fixed emergency reserve first, or price the known opening-month costs before deciding what is genuinely spare? I’m willing to furnish slowly, but I don’t want an urgent repair to force borrowing soon after the purchase.
 
QAR 145,600 is the figure to protect until the payment calendar is clear. I’d list everything due around completion and the move—the opening mortgage instalment, moving costs, service charges and any insurance amount you must absorb yourself—using actual dates where available.

What remains can then be split between your normal living-expense reserve and inspection-led work. A serious defect would change the calculation; dated finishes or an unfurnished room would not. Keep the furniture budget small until you have lived there long enough to see which purchases are really necessary.
 
The missing figure is your monthly essential spending after purchase. QAR 145,600 could be comfortable for one buyer and tight for another. Do you already know when the first mortgage payment and service charges fall, and whether either amount was included in your closing estimate? That timing matters because several payments can cluster around the move.
 
I would not create a large generic repair pot before seeing the inspection. Keep the money liquid, certainly, but let the findings distinguish urgent work from cosmetic work. Otherwise it is easy to mentally spend the same cash twice—once as an emergency fund and again as a renovation budget. I do agree that furniture should be gradual, apart from the basics needed to live there.
 
Make a simple closing-to-six-month calendar. List the mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess, moving quotes and only the inspection items that cannot wait. Put the emergency fund on a separate line and do not count it toward furnishing. If the resulting free amount feels too small, reduce the purchase price rather than trimming the emergency reserve to make the townhouse fit.
 
Back
Top