First-time buyer in Copenhagen: how much cash buffer after closing?

noor_grove

Buyer
Established
The constraint is that DKK 274,000 would need to cover every surprise immediately after completion, not just planned improvements. That is what I expect to have left after buying a 1-bed Copenhagen townhouse for about DKK 8,836,000 and allowing for the deposit and closing costs.

I still need to account for the move, the insurance excess and anything raised by the inspection. How much would you protect as emergency savings before assigning money to urgent work? I’m happy to postpone furniture and cosmetic changes, but I do not want an essential repair to leave the first few months uncomfortably tight.
 
I would keep the emergency fund separate first, then reserve cash for moving and any work needed to make the property safe and weatherproof. Furniture would come from later income rather than the closing buffer. Also include the first mortgage payment in your cash-flow plan; the amount left after closing is less useful if the following month is already tight.
 
What does the DKK 274,000 estimate already include? In particular: inspection follow-up, insurance excess, possible service charges and the actual moving bill. Without those details, dividing the money into percentages could give false comfort. I would wait for the inspection before deciding how much is genuinely available for optional work.
 
I partly disagree with treating all repairs as one pot. An inspection can flag something expensive but not urgent, while several smaller issues may need attention immediately. Make separate lists for essential first-month work and work that can wait a year. The buffer may look substantial in isolation, but the relevant question is whether it covers the townhouse’s specific risks while leaving your emergency savings untouched.
 
The main constraint is not the size of the DKK 274,000 balance but how much remains after the known first-month bills. I would list the first mortgage payment, moving quote, insurance excess, service charges and urgent inspection findings in date order, then ring-fence the emergency amount.

That also deals with the distinction made above: immediate smaller jobs go into the schedule, while an expensive issue that can wait gets its own later reserve. If little remains protected after that exercise, choosing a cheaper townhouse would create more useful flexibility than cutting the furniture budget alone.
 
Back
Top