First-time buyer in Chicago: is $24,000 enough cash after closing?

lina_brooks

First-time buyer
A $24,000 cushion sounds reasonable until I consider everything that may fall due immediately after closing. That is roughly what I would retain after the deposit and estimated closing costs on a $710,000 one-bedroom new-build flat, but an inspection could still uncover early work.

What order would you use for the first mortgage payment, moving costs, near-term service charges, urgent repairs and an emergency reserve? I can delay most furniture. My specific concern is assuming the whole amount is available when part of it may already be committed.
 
I wouldn’t divide it until you know how much is genuinely uncommitted. First set aside the first mortgage payment, moving expenses, any building or service charges due soon after closing, and your insurance deductible. Whatever remains has to cover both emergencies and inspection items. What are your monthly essential expenses, and does the closing estimate include all prepaid insurance and property-related charges?
 
That distinction helps. I was treating the full $24,000 as my post-closing buffer, but I need to confirm the payment dates and whether every prepaid charge is actually included in the estimate. I also haven’t converted my normal monthly spending into a target number of months yet. Furniture can wait apart from basics; uncertainty around inspection findings is what makes me hesitate.
 
My preference would be to preserve most of the cash buffer, but the unknown inspection findings are being treated as though every item will be Bianca’s expense. With a new build, the first step is to separate defects that can be raised with the builder from urgent work the owner must fund. The purchase paperwork and the builder’s defect procedure should help establish that split. Decorating and minor adjustments still cost money, but they can wait; buy only the basics until the inspection report provides actual items to budget for.
 
A practical order would be: confirm the final cash-to-close figure and first payment date; list moving and near-term building charges; reserve enough for the insurance deductible and urgent inspection work; then protect an emergency fund based on essential monthly spending. Furniture comes from what is left, bought gradually. If that sequence leaves little emergency cash, the $710,000 target is probably too close to your ceiling even if the lender approves it.
 
Back
Top