First-time buyer in Chicago: how much cash buffer after closing for a 2-bed?

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
If I commit too much cash at closing, an inspection item, insurance excess or ordinary moving expense could leave me using credit immediately after buying. The alternative is to stay well below my limit and possibly delay a purchase that is otherwise affordable.

The property under consideration is a 2-bed new-build flat in Chicago at about $165,000. My estimate leaves around $42,000 after the deposit and expected closing costs, although I still need to allow for anything found during inspection, the move, basic furniture and first-year repairs.

Rather than treating the choice as buy or do not buy, I am considering setting aside a non-negotiable emergency reserve first, then a separate amount for moving and inspection findings. Furniture could be bought gradually after that. How would you divide the cash, and which unpaid or prepaid insurance and closing items should I verify before deciding that $42,000 is genuinely available?
 
You’re not overthinking it. I’d separate the money before closing: an emergency fund that is not for the flat, a smaller moving and repair pot, then furniture last. The right emergency amount depends on your essential monthly spending and job stability, not just the purchase price. A 2-bed does not need to be fully furnished on day one.
 
Does the $42,000 figure already account for prepaid insurance, any service charges due at closing and the first mortgage payment? Also, have you estimated the regular service charge after you move in? Those details would make the proposed buffer easier to judge.
 
I’d be slightly less relaxed than Thomas about calling furniture the last category. You need somewhere to sleep, window coverings where necessary and basic lighting or storage, so some purchases are immediate. But I agree that furnishing every room is optional. Make a short “needed in week one” list and defer everything else for a few months.
 
The inspection findings should determine part of the split. Keep a provisional repair amount untouched until you have the report, then distinguish genuine defects from cosmetic preferences. New-build does not automatically mean there will be nothing to address, but it also makes little sense to reserve cash for hypothetical upgrades before you know what the inspector finds.
 
I would build a simple closing-to-month-three cash plan rather than one broad buffer. List the expected balance after closing, moving, essential furniture, possible inspection items, service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Then stress-test it with one unplanned expense and one month of reduced income. If that leaves the emergency fund uncomfortably low, buying below your maximum is doing exactly what you want it to do.
 
One caveat: don’t treat all $42,000 as available merely because it remains in the account. Decide on the emergency floor first and regard that amount as untouchable. The remainder is your actual move-in budget. Before making an offer, ask for the service-charge schedule and tighten the closing estimate; those recurring and near-term costs matter more than whether the spare bedroom gets furnished immediately.
 
Back
Top