First-time buyer in Bogotá: how much cash buffer after closing?

field.full

Buyer
Established
Our offer has finally been accepted, which has turned the focus from winning the property to protecting our cash position. It is a 1-bed villa in Bogotá for roughly COP 1,640,000,000, and the current estimates leave about COP 147,600,000 available once the deposit and purchase expenses are covered.

That figure still has to absorb any inspection work, the move and the expensive first weeks of ownership. I am inclined to lock away the emergency fund and first mortgage payment before making reversible purchases such as furniture. How would you then rank immediate repairs, service charges, insurance excess and basic setup costs? I do not want the relief of finally succeeding to push us into treating a provisional estimate as spare money.
 
I’d separate it before spending anything: an untouchable emergency fund, known moving and setup costs, then a property-repair reserve based on the inspection. Furniture comes last unless something is genuinely necessary to live there.

Also keep the first mortgage payment outside those buckets. Completion-related estimates can move, so don’t mentally spend the full COP 147,600,000 yet.
 
What are the expected monthly mortgage payment and service charges? The cash figure alone doesn’t show how safe the position is. COP 147.6m is about 9% of the purchase price, but the more useful comparison is how many months of total household and property expenses it covers. I’d also ask for the insurance excess before deciding how much is truly untouchable.
 
I wouldn’t assign fixed percentages until the inspection arrives. “Ordinary first-year work” could mean several inexpensive jobs or one item that should change the whole plan. Sort findings into urgent, needed within a year, and cosmetic. Get cost estimates for the first two groups, add moving costs, and leave furniture at the minimum needed for now.
 
Slight caveat: delaying all furniture can create false economy if it leads to rushed purchases later. I’d allow a modest, written essentials list—bed, basic lighting, somewhere to eat—while refusing decorative upgrades for the first few months.

The bigger danger is treating the remaining balance as one pot. Service charges, insurance, mortgage payments and repairs are obligations; furniture is adjustable.
 
That distinction is useful. I’d build a simple closing-day cash plan with four lines: untouchable emergency money, the first few recurring property payments, inspection-led repairs, and moving plus essential furniture. Anything not assigned stays unspent.

One more point for the inspection: ask which findings could worsen if postponed. That helps separate a cosmetic annoyance from a repair where waiting may increase the eventual cost.
 
Back
Top