First-time buyer in Amsterdam: how much cash buffer after closing?

After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have roughly €39,560 left. I’m considering a 4-bed new-build flat in Amsterdam at around €749,800. The mortgage payment looks affordable, but the first year is harder to picture, especially if the inspection finds ordinary work. How would you divide the remaining cash between an emergency fund, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I would rather buy below my maximum than have every small issue become a crisis.
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furnishing. Then set aside the first mortgage payment, moving costs, expected service charges and enough to cover an insurance excess. Whatever remains can fund inspection items and essential furniture. A nearly empty spare bedroom is inconvenient; having no cash when something breaks is worse.
 
Is the €39,560 figure after everything needed to make the flat usable, or only after the purchase costs? With a new-build, clarify exactly what is included at handover—flooring, lighting, window coverings and appliances can materially change the furniture budget. I’d also avoid assuming every inspection finding must be paid for by you immediately; first establish who is responsible and when the work is actually needed.
 
I agree on delaying furniture, but I wouldn’t put the entire unknown-work allowance behind a large emergency reserve. Inspection findings can be small individually yet disruptive if several need attention together. Make three lists before deciding: fixed first-month payments, essential move-in items, and work that can wait six or twelve months. Price those lists, keep the emergency money separate, and see whether €39,560 still leaves breathing room. If not, lowering the purchase target is the cleaner answer.
 
Back
Top